Returning this September, I’ll be rekindling Grim Gozzoth’s adventures through RPGs with daily journeys into certain death. This time, I will abandon the pixelated Gold Boxes of my youth and go with some more current fare. These games will play out throughout the month until I die. When I die once in the game or get a complete party wipe, then that game will be over. You can watch Grim Gozzoth curse his way through prettier games this time!
Note: I will probably skip a lot of the dialogue or read it really quickly. So if you’re watching for story, might not be a good idea?
Here are the candidates for September 2017:
- Pillars of Eternity: Considered by some to be the spiritual successor to Baldur’s Gate, it’s been widely praised by gamers and critics alike. Let’s see how long Grim Gozzoth can last in the world of Eora.
- Baldur’s Gate-Enhanced Edition: To keep things in the family, I’ll move on to Baldur’s Gate itself. And then…
- Baldur’s Gate 2-Enhanced Edition: Believed by many to be one of the best RPGs of all time, I’ll give it the old college try and probably die.
- Tyranny: The newest game on the list, it’s made by the same designers of Pillars of Eternity and has the same isometric feel. Except in this game I get to be an asshole all the time if I want.
- Planescape: Torment: I’ve heard nothing but great things about this game for years and I’ve tried it a couple of times to only die really quickly. Here’s my chance again!
- Grim Dawn: Some might say it’s a spiritual successor to Diablo, but I just love it in general. It’s easy to die if you act stupid. Which I probably will.
- Serpent in the Staglands: This game is hard AF and doesn’t hold your hand at all. This game inspired by Darklands let’s you die pretty fast if you let it.
- The Age of Decadence: A grimdark game in the sense that you do various tasks and then people knife you for no reason. Could be a quick one.
That’s what I’m going with for September! If you care to follow along, I’ll be posting updates here as the days advance. Come along and watch Grim Gozzoth die many fantastical deaths!
If you care for a taste, here was my first try of Pool of Radiance. Spoiler: it didn’t go well.